The Alberta Street Black Heritage Markers
The Alberta Street Black Heritage Markers Will Be Installed in Spring 2019
The Alberta Street Black Heritage Markers (previously referred to as the Alberta Historical Markers) will feature the accomplishments and experiences of 8 African American members of the Alberta neighborhood and NE Portland. There will be 5 markers along Alberta Street – at NE 11th, NE 14th, NE 17th, NE 18th and NE 24th.
- Honor and commemorate the history of the African American community on Alberta Street
- Ensure authentic community involvement in creating a shared public space by engaging community members to highlight the unique history and character of our neighborhood
- Raise community awareness about African American history on Alberta Street
On February 24, 2015, AMS held a community check-in (“Honoring Our Past, Planning Our Future”) to identify priorities for our work moving forward. At this gathering, many historically underserved and underrepresented stakeholders shared that they have not benefited from overall improvements on Alberta Street. There was a call for effective ways to embrace the rich African American history of the street.
Taking these ideas into consideration, AMS applied for and was awarded grant funding for Equitable Alberta Street, a project that expands AMS’ capacity to address issues related to equity, diversity and inclusion. A core component of this project is to honor and embrace the rich history of the African American community on Alberta Street. To begin addressing this goal, AMS is initiating an equitable placemaking project to create historical and cultural markers within the district.
There are layers of history on Alberta Street from the early twentieth century to the present that speak to the experience of African American community members. AMS seeks to honor this history through tangible cultural/historical markers in the public right of way that are inspired by stories:
- from current or former King, Vernon, Sabin, or Concordia residents whose lives and families have been impacted by social and economic changes in the area,
- about historically significant events on or impacting Alberta Street, or
- that recollect a personally significant event or experience on Alberta Street.
Funding for this project generously provided by:
we’re up to
we’re up to
Please enter an Access Token on the Instagram Feed plugin Settings page.